Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Travel scam

This personal incident happened last fall. We were planning for a trip and I went shopping online for the cheapest fares and then I came across this site http://besttix.net and the deal was ridiculously good atleast $100 or so bucks less than Southwest or other airlines. Then I started to fill out the online form for purchasing the tickets and gave the credit card no etc., but got the error that the credit card could not be processed. Then I receive the email from a female named Monica in New york stating that they could not process the credit card and I need to send the money via western union to an address in Bulgaria. I did not smell a rat and thought okay there might be some problem and therefore I used my personal account and transferred the money to Bulgaria. After that I gave her the number and requested for my tickets but she didnot respond and the money was cashed and I was left high and dry.Then I sent the emails to no avail. I tried to pull up the site luckily it is not there now. So beware, the cheapest fares may not be cheap after all!

No comments: